Model aircraft soars into record books

Diskussionen über die RAF Germany. (RAF Laarbruch, Brüggen, Gütersloh, Wildenrath)
Discussion about RAF Germany. (RAF Laarbruch, Bruggen, Gutersloh, Wildenrath)

Moderatoren: Rolf, Triple Nickel, Copter

Antworten
White Cap
Senior User

Model aircraft soars into record books

Beitrag von White Cap »

Source:UK Ministry of Defence

Model aircraft soars into record books - on a wing and a chair
12 Jul 06

The first electric powered model aircraft winged its way successfully across the English Channel on Sunday 9 July 2006, almost a century after Louis Bleriot made the first successful powered flight crossing in a monoplane.

Nigel Hawes, right, and Brian Collins with their Tucano model which on Sunday became the first electric powered model to cross the English Channel

This is no ordinary model aircraft, it is a 1.37 m (54 inch) wingspan model Tucano powered by nothing more than a small electric motor and a big pack of batteries.

The record breaking project was the brainchild of prolific model aircraft designer Nigel Hawes and modelling colleague Brian Collins.

Nigel, who has a long standing association with Royal Air Force Linton-on-Ouse, has had an affection for the Tucano since 1988 when the first examples appeared in the skies near his home.

Until now all have been powered by petrol or methanol fuelled internal combustion engines. Now with the advent of high-capacity, lightweight Lithium Polymer cells, electric modellers can match their petrolhead rivals.

The two designers accompanied their aircraft across the channel during their record breaking attempt in a Dovers Sea School rib. Brian is paralysed from the waist down following a motorcycling accident so his efforts were even more remarkable. Nigel said:

"It was quite choppy out there and worsening all the time ... At some stages the boat was leaping out of the water by ten feet and each time it landed it was like being in a minor car accident! How Brian managed to get through it I have no idea - he's the most courageous man I've ever known."

Nigel concluded:

"In the end it was more of a physical endurance battle than one of piloting skills ... But we got the job done - we're not quitters! Most people told us we were crazy to attempt it and that we didn't stand a chance, but I imagine the same was said to Louis Bleriot."

"I have enjoyed a fantastic relationship with RAF Linton-on-Ouse over the last couple of years, and this flight is dedicated to everyone at the base. It was only right in my opinion that the first Electric Powered model aircraft to fly across the English Channel should be a Tucano, and from a personal point of view it had to be a replica of ZF209."
Antworten